Requests for Incomplete Grades
The Office of Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS) provides advocacy and assistance for students who experience documented medical, psychological, personal crisis, or military circumstances that negatively impact academic coursework for the current term. A student may request that SASS advocate for the assignment of Incomplete grades for coursework by verifying such documented concerns. While SASS may advocate for an Incomplete through verification of official documentation, students are still responsible for speaking to faculty members directly regarding their request that an Incomplete be assigned in a particular course.
The University has developed a policy regarding Incompletes, which can be found under UNC Charlotte Academic Policy and Procedure: Grading.
The Office of Student Assistance and Support Services can meet with students to discuss when it may be appropriate for a student to request an Incomplete. If you are considering requesting that a faculty member assign an Incomplete for a particular course, here are some important things to keep in mind:
- Assigning an Incomplete is at the discretion of the instructor
- Incompletes are typically utilized when a student has not completed all the work in a course due to circumstances beyond their control
- Requests for Incompletes are not considered prior to the 60% completion mark in a given term
- The student must be in good standing (passing) in the course at the time of the request
- If an Incomplete is assigned, missing work must be completed by the deadline specified by the instructor, and cannot exceed a period of 12 months
- The agreed upon terms of an Incomplete should be recorded via a written contract between the student and instructor and both parties should retain a copy for their records
While a student can work directly with their instructor(s) to request an Incomplete, the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services can assist in advocating on a student’s behalf by verifying the circumstances at hand. If a student chooses to request this assistance, documentation must be submitted to the office in order to verify the circumstance, take action, and advocate on behalf of a student. Our office may take steps to call medical providers or other entities to validate any documentation submitted. Submission of falsified documentation by a student may result in charges under the Code of Student Responsibility.
Submitting Your Request for Assistance
In order to process your request for assistance, please complete the online Incomplete Assistance Request Form. You only need to submit ONE form in a given term, as you can indicate on the form if you are requesting Incompletes in more than one course for that term. Incomplete Assistance Request Forms submitted to the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services will not be accepted prior to the self-withdraw deadline OR after 5pm on the last day of finals for a given term.
Original documentation can be attached to your request form or submitted to the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services for formal verification. If you are unable to attach your documentation to the online request form at the time of submission, documentation may be provided in the following ways:
- Fax: 704-687-1969
- Email: email@example.com
- Submit in Person: 349 Cone University Center
- Mail: Office of Student Assistance and Support Services, 349 Cone University Center, 9201 University City Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28223
Submission of documentation without completing the online Incomplete Assistance Request Form will not be processed.
The deadline to submit requests for assistance with Incompletes for the Fall 2021 semester, including providing supporting documentation, is Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 5pm.