Addressing Student Complaints
UNC Charlotte is committed to fostering mutual respect among all members of the University community. If a student has any issue or concern regarding the living and/or and learning environment at UNC Charlotte that is not covered by the established policies below, the University has developed a Student Grievance Procedure outlining how to submit a formal grievance. Students are encouraged to review policy information, should they wish to submit a formal grievance.
The Office of Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS), a function of the Dean of Students Office, can also serve as a resource for students seeking information regarding grievances and appropriate avenues to express complaints about their University experiences. If you are considering submitting a Student Grievance Report to the SASS office for support, here are some important things to review prior to contacting the SASS office:
- If you have a concern with a professor or instructor, please contact the appropriate department chair, as chairs have direct oversight of professors/instructors
- If you are looking to appeal a final course grade, please thoroughly read the University’s established Policy and Procedure for Student Appeals of Final Course Grades and follow the prescribed steps
- Review existing resources and policies (noted below) to determine if there is an established University Policy or process specific to your complaint
- Student Grievance Report forms should be used to submit a complaint to the SASS Office if you have made attempts to but been unable to satisfactorily resolve the issue at hand and/or there is not an existing policy or process specifically denoted for the type of complaint you wish to file
- Do not use the Student Grievance Report if you are experiencing personal grief due to a loss. If you need assistance with an absence verification due to grief of some kind, please review information related to the Absence Verification process
If you would like guidance regarding a grievance or concern or are unsure if submitting a Student Grievance Report is the right avenue to voice your specific concern, please contact the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services at 704-687-0289 to speak with a staff member.
Resources and Policies to Address Specific Student Complaints
Students may experience specific issues or concerns for which University resources, policies, and procedures have been established. We encourage students to review any specific policies and information linked below that may be applicable to their specific complaint regarding their student experience. If the concern falls within an established policy below, we recommend that the student follow the outlined procedures and contact the specific office or unit responsible for assisting students with their concern.
- University Policy 411, Student Grievance Procedure applies to problems arising in the relationship between a student and the University that are not governed by other specific grievance procedures
- University Policy 501, Nondiscrimination applies to allegations of discrimination and discriminatory harassment against students, faculty, or staff
- University Policy 502, Sexual Misconduct and Interpersonal Violence applies to allegations of sexual misconduct or interpersonal violence against students, faculty, or staff
- University Policy 504, Title IX Grievance Policy applies to allegations of sexual harassment, as defined by Title IX, against students, faculty, or staff
- Student conduct procedures under The Code of Student Responsibility and the Code of Student Academic Integrity
- Appeals from denials of admission or readmission to the University under Admission Appeals Process
- Review of decisions concerning residency status, deposits, tuition, and fees
- University Policy 410, Policy and Procedure for Student Appeals of Final Course Grades
- Undergraduate student academic appeal and grievance procedures
- Graduate student academic and termination appeals
- Serious grievances related to the student's education records
- Grievances related to delivery of special services to students with disabilities
- Review of traffic and parking violation notices