Student Complaints

Addressing Student Complaints

UNC Charlotte is committed to fostering mutual respect among all members of the University community. If a student has any issue or concern regarding the living and/or and learning environment at UNC Charlotte that is not covered by the established policies below, the University has developed a Student Grievance Procedure outlining how to submit a formal grievance. Students are encouraged to review policy information, should they wish to submit a formal grievance.

The Office of Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS), a function of the Dean of Students Office, can also serve as a resource for students seeking information regarding grievances and appropriate avenues to express complaints about their University experiences. If you are considering submitting a Student Grievance Report to the SASS office for support, here are some important things to review prior to contacting the SASS office:

  • If you have a concern with a professor or instructor, please contact the appropriate department chair, as chairs have direct oversight of professors/instructors
  • If you are looking to appeal a final course grade, please thoroughly read the University’s established Policy and Procedure for Student Appeals of Final Course Grades and follow the prescribed steps
  • Review existing resources and policies (noted below) to determine if there is an established University Policy or process specific to your complaint
  • Student Grievance Report forms should be used to submit a complaint to the SASS Office if you have made attempts to but been unable to satisfactorily resolve the issue at hand and/or there is not an existing policy or process specifically denoted for the type of complaint you wish to file
  • Do not use the Student Grievance Report if you are experiencing personal grief due to a loss. If you need assistance with an absence verification due to grief of some kind, please review information related to the Absence Verification process

If you would like guidance regarding a grievance or concern or are unsure if submitting a Student Grievance Report is the right avenue to voice your specific concern, please contact the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services at 704-687-0289 to speak with a staff member.

Resources and Policies to Address Specific Student Complaints

Students may experience specific issues or concerns for which University resources, policies, and procedures have been established. We encourage students to review any specific policies and information linked below that may be applicable to their specific complaint regarding their student experience. If the concern falls within an established policy below, we recommend that the student follow the outlined procedures and contact the specific office or unit responsible for assisting students with their concern.

Submitting a Grievance Report Form to Student Assistance and Support Services

If you have reviewed the policies and procedures noted above and there is not an existing policy or course of action to address your specific concern, students can submit information regarding their complaint to Student Assistance and Support Services (SASS) using the Student Grievance Report Form. The SASS Office reaches out to students to provide general support and connect students to appropriate campus resources. Our office will also forward your complaint to the appropriate University staff or department for their review and action.